Nuffnang

Saturday, March 8, 2014

International Women's Day 2014 (Part 2)


8th March 2014, Singapore. Today marks the International Women’s Day (IWD).

To commemorate this special occasion, I had interviewed a couple of women from all walks of life to share their story to everyone.

Some of their story might inspire, motivate, influence or represent each and every woman in Today's society.


Elva Lee is a Buyer, currently Singapore Permanent Residence.

X: Why do you decided to work in Singapore rather than your hometown, Malaysia?

E: I would like to explore more different things and also due to attractive currency conversion rate, which I can earn more money. Furthermore, I also feel that Singapore is much more safer to live in compared to most of the cities.

X: How do you cope with your emotional when you decided to work in Singapore? As you need to give up in living your comfort zone in Malaysia and left your family members behind?

E: In the beginning, I felt very sad and began homesick as I could not get used to the Singapore culture as most of the people in Malaysia communicate in Bahasa Malaysia. While in Singapore, they are using English to communicate.

Partly because in Malaysia, I used to work in the office. But after I arrived in Singapore, my first job was a Management Trainee in one of the hyper supermarket in Singapore.

Both of the jobs that I worked are in different trade and even the working environment are different. So this was quite challenging for me, but for myself, I like to take up new challenges and I could learn more new things.

X: When you just settled down in Singapore, how do you overcome your homesick?

E: I tried to make more friends and seek for activities. I’m very fortunate as one of my colleagues was my schoolmate so I would not feel so lonely.

X: How long did it take for you to settle down in Singapore?

E: It took me about 5 months to settle down in Singapore, one of the good thing is that the food here are almost the same as Malaysia.

X: Did your parents’ encouraged and gave you comfort when you decided to work in Singapore?

E: No, my parents' are against me to work in Singapore and did not encouraged me. Because they thought that distance are way too far from my hometown and they requested me to go back every month. But due to the tight schedule and working environment, I am not able to go back home every month.

X: What is the working culture between Malaysia and Singapore?

E: Singapore is a fast pace country and more efficient than Malaysia. A bit stressful working in Singapore. ☺

X: Do you think that in Today context of society, more women are accepted in higher-ranking position and being respected compared 10 years ago?

E: Yes, Yet, despite many successes in empowering women, numerous issues still exist in all areas of life, ranging from the cultural, political to the economic.

Many women have achieved great things, but there are still those who are struggling and face great difficulties and challenges in their lives.

X:  Do you think that the woman should fight for their dream and their own right?

E: Why not? We are now living in 21st century and women should speak up and fight for their own right?

X: Do you have any encouragement words to all the ladies who wish to work aboard?

E: There are times in our lives when we feel down and out. When we will feel lost and do not know where and how to start from the beginning, always remember that don’t give up easily!

"A woman is like a teabag. It's only when she's in hot water that you realize how strong she is." - Nancy Reagan

No comments:

Post a Comment